Recently, I was the Founder and CTO of a company called StyleFeeder, Inc. that I started to change the way people shop by using data mining and machine learning to understand their tastes and deliver relevant products to shoppers. StyleFeeder was funded by Schooner Capital and Highland Capital Partners. In January, 2010, we sold the company to Time Inc.,
where I currently work as a VP in the technology organization. I recently left Time Inc. and am taking some time off.
In the past, I’ve worked as a hacker, technology strategy consultant, data security consultant, sysadmin and architect at big fancy companies and teeny little startups that tried hard but never made it. I’m on an advisory panel with Linux Journal magazine and also have been a technology advisor to PRX since inception.
I’ve worked with technology for a long time and I love it. I never get bored with it. I like to create.
I like to travel and listen to music. I’m married to someone wonderful and we have a baby girl. I love them both so much that I can’t explain it. We live in Arlington, Massachusetts in the US.
As you may expect, the opinions I express on my personal blog are my own. I speak for nobody but myself on these pages.
Things you should know about me:
- I enjoy a nice walk after dinner.
- I eat slowly. I read slowly. It’s just that way.
- I hate bureaucracy and have developed advanced next-level skills for avoiding most forms of it.
- I reject technology that creates unaccountable centralized authorities.
- I have an insatiable appetite for new music.
- I want to play guitar very badly. Actually, I do play it very badly. I want to play it very well.
- I appreciate honesty and well-crafted forms of expression.
- I am not a morning person, no matter how much I wish I was.
- I like to learn.
- I will get on a plane and go somewhere new in a heartbeat.
- I’m not obstinate, I’m persistent.
- I buy a lot of shoes.